Saturday, September 1, 2012

At The Beginning

Yes, at the beginning, I would have never dreamed I would be writing in a format such as this about the trials and tribulations of growing old.  You see, I had never planned on growing old, never considered the possibility even.  With my chosen profession (Rodeo Trickriding) I always assumed something would get me long before the years took their penance.  It was with that premise that I have always generously salted my food,  refused to eat properly,  crossed with confidence against the light and generally thumbed my nose at the light at the end of the tunnel that was the dreaded 'old age'. 

But, in spite of my steadfast confidence that I am still young,  society and nature have taken to reminding me on my age and the marks it has left on me. 

At first I was amused when I was offered the senior discount at a fast food restaurant.  I told myself that the reason I was buying the 'regular fit' jeans instead of the 'slim' fit was because they are so much easier to ride in.  I blamed my gasping breath after running a short distance on the pneumonia I had last year, the wrinkles are from the harsh AZ sun.   Can we spell DENIAL?

Now when offered the senior discount, I tell myself,  "Well, every penny counts."  Who am I kidding?

Aging does not come with a handbook.  Navigating it's murky waters seems sometimes secretive and taboo.  As if we aren't supposed to question the process but simply accept it gracefully.

I don't know how to be graceful about getting older.  And quite honestly, I don't want to be graceful,  I want to scream, protest and fight every step of the way, leaving fingernail marks on the ground as I am dragged into old. 

Oh yes, and then factor in the little thing we women have to deal with called menopause and heeellllooo.....this sucks sometimes. 

Each of us will have a unique journey,  I plan to complain, whine, cajole, threaten and beg my way through mine.  I hope to be able to find the humor in my adventures and some wisdom to pass along to others about this. 

This will be my take on things.  What's yours?

5 comments:

  1. I think I walking right beside you, my friend. I fear the mirror, because it does not lie. I look at my image and wonder, "Who is that? Surely that can' be me!" Well, with my waddle under my chin and the grey hairs on my temples, I march right along your side on this next journey in life....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbie, it should be good for some laughs at least

      Delete
  2. They can call me anything they like as long as I get a discount. Ain't it great, and like my old granddad used to tell me "getting old beats the alternative"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Jaye - you're only as old as your heart believes you are! (If Vicki had lived longer than 59, she still would have died at the ripe age of 23!)

    I can't wait to follow your blog... You're so full of life, and humor, and LOVE!!! You may be getting older, but you're far from Heaven's gate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to the grave in a well preserved body either Jaye!! looking forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete