Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Random Act of Kindness

It's true, they are still out there! 

Today, as I was leaving Walmart, I saw a taxi cab pull up to the door.  It's a small town with no real public transportation.  I idly watched as the driver got out, went around to the back door, and ever so gently assisted an 'older' lady out of the cab.  She was not real steady on her feet and actually looked a bit un-nerved at the prospect of navigating into the store.  I wondered to myself how I could offer to help her without compromising her dignity.

I didn't have to worry about that.  The cab driver took her arm and carefully walked her inside to the motorized carts, got her settled then hurried out to his cab and drove away. 

Maybe she was a family member?  Maybe she was a regular customer,  a big tipper?  Didn't really look that way.  What it looked like was a Random Act of Kindness.

As someone who constantly feels the need to prove  "I can do it myself" it's frightening to think that there will come a day that I will need assistance from a stranger.  With the lifestyle I have chosen, it's amazing to anyone that knows me, that I am still able to get out of the truck without help.  I am a realist, I know those days are getting fewer and fewer. 

Thank you to that cab driver.  I don't know him or the elderly lady but his actions give me comfort that there are people in this world who take on (even if briefly) the responsibility to pass along a courtesy, respect and dignity to someone else.

It made me resolve to appreciate the things I have and determined to to make sure that I too pass along a random act of kindness.

Help the old people.  We're going to be them soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. Random acts of kindness are very rare now a days. Its good to see. I promise, I'll come out and help you in to Walmart when its that time. Only thing is I'll be just as old. LOL We can have motorized cart races in Walmart parking lot!!! Guess we will all have to embrace the "older years!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, what a friend! I knew I could count on you! And I'm looking forward to those cart races. You know how competitive I am, bring your A game!

    ReplyDelete