Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day Two

"The sun rose on a glorious Sunday morning.  The light bouncing off the mountain made everything have a yellow tinge to it."

Oh come on!!!  Yellow tinge?  Are you sure that wasn't the jaundice in your eyes?  It wasn't a glorious morning when I literally rolled out of bed.  Back was aching and feet stiff and rolled into balls.  Glorious is for the young.  Pain management is for the old. 

But... as I made my way to the barn, I was greeted by a chorus of nickers, neighs and brays.  While yes,  they mostly just wanted breakfast, I have convinced myself that part of the greeting was for me.  My four legged family couldn't care less if I am growing older.  They also don't care that my hair isn't even combed yet this morning, my baggy shorts and t-shirt are the same ones I fed in yesterday and my chicken legs are sticking out from those baggy shorts. 

Maybe that's why I love 4 legged creatures so much.  They are so non-judgemental about 'human' things.   We, the 2 legged animals, create so much pressure on ourselves to rise up to standards and ideals that so often have nothing to do with the person we really are. 

Let's face it,  we are a society based on appearance.  We could forgive a mass murderer if he/she is good looking and well dressed.  Because of our obsession with youth, we often don't treat our older generation very well.  So, that means, I just gotta treat myself well and don't wait for someone else to do it.  I had a very salty Aunt who told me as a child,  "Sis,  you just gotta stand up for yourself or you can't expect anyone else to stand up for you."  By golly, I'm standing up!!  Admittedly it takes a little longer to get out of the chair, but I'M UP! 

Now what was it I was going to do?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 

1 comment:

  1. Old is when breakfast consists of a pill for menopause, an aspirin for high blood pressure, a couple of Tylenol and a handful of Advil followed by a pot of coffee.

    ReplyDelete